Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Turning Pens and Making Small Crafts

My friend Jeff Fleisher and I signed up to sell our wares at two craft shows this fall.  Both are at the Fairfax County (Virginia) Government Center.  Ever since I completed the Winchester desk class in July and a subsequent vacation, I have been almost totally occupied with turning pens.  That will be, for the most part, what I'll be selling.

I decided to concentrate on turning wood rather than acrylic.  So to make them better than ho-hum, I've been working with burls--especially elder but also buckeye--which give the pens a more distinguished look.  I've got a pretty good stock of pens that will retail in a range from inexpensive to expensive.

But after more than a month of turning pens, I'm getting worn out and so have turned to making business card holders and small clocks.  The business card holders are surprisingly easy to make.  You take an approximately 2X2 board (I used cherry and walnut) and cut out the inside with a dado blade, making several passes until I got the right depth.  Then I took the length of wood to the router table and routed a shallow groove 1/4 inch wide in the face.  I glued a strip of 1/4 inch patterned inlay into the groove, then sanded the boards before cutting them into 3 inch lengths.  They look pretty good!

The clocks are only just started.  Guess I'd better get busy!

Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment